Our Sansar Limited acknowledges and believes that the United Kingdom is socially diverse and that no person should suffer oppression or lack of opportunity based on gender, colour, culture, beliefs, religion, disability, sexuality, age class, geographical location, health employment status, or any other perceived difference.
Our Sansar Limited is committed to developing equal opportunities in all areas of it’s work and structure, and I particular will take positive action in the areas of members employment, volunteer employment, services and training and in the Implementation, Monitoring and review of it’s Equal Opportunity Policy.
In pursuit of this aim Our Sansar Limited will:
- Endeavour to become more aware of, and will work with other voluntary organisations to help them and us become more aware of discrimination, oppression and inequality. To recognise the problems caused and how these issues effect our organisations and the implications for our work.
- Work to increase involvement with individuals and organisations to promote equal opportunities.
- Challenge practice, legislation and institutions which seek to discriminate against or affect the rights of individuals on any of the grounds previously referred to.
Our Sansar Limited has developed an equal opportunities code of practice to assist with implementing this policy statement and, will, assist with implementing enforcing and monitoring it.
Equal Opportunities – Code of Practice
- All vacant posts must be advertised appropriately(see recruitment policy & redundancy policy)
- The Equal Opportunities Summary Statement must be placed at the top of all advertisements.
- Advertisements must be brought to the attention of the widest range of people possible using all the most appropriate means. Considerations should be given to ensuring that particular groups of people are not excluded.
- The wording of advertisements must be unambiguous and able to be easily understood; salaries, job titles and hours of work must be clearly stated.
- Salaries must be stated in monetary terms.
- Only those requirements/criteria which are relevant to the job should be included.
- Consider other formats and media for advertising to access the widest possible response.
b) Job Description
- There must always be a job description; it’s wording must be unambiguous and able to be easily understood.
- An equal Opportunities Statement must be incorporated into the job description.
- make available in other formats.
c) Personnel/Personal Specification
- This must be written as a direct extension from the job description and must link specifically to tasks identified.
- The experience, qualifications, personal qualities and attributes listed must be justifiable. Skills or qualifications which are not relevant to the post must not be asked for.
- Where qualifications are asked for, the words “or relevant/equivalent” must be added.
- make available in other formats.
d) Application Form
- Application forms should not request information that is not relevant to the post. Guidelines on what constitutes an acceptable application form will be produced from time to time.
- Application forms should include a specific request for information from applicants concerning facilities which they may require to enable them to attend for interview.
- make available in other formats
e) Short listing
- All members of the interview panel must be involved in short listing.
- The process of short listing must be conducted in accordance with the person specification.
- Application forms must be kept for one year. Applicants who wish to know why they were not selected must be told.
- The interview panel for all posts must reflect a varied perspective, having regard to gender, ethnicity, disability, etc.
- All members of the panel must show commitment to and have received training in Equal Opportunities and must be conversant with the Code of Practice and with the Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Reasons for decisions made must be recorded. All candidates shall be notified as soon as possible of the outcome of their applications.
If it is suspected that discrimination has occurred at any point during the recruitment process, no job offer can be made until the issue is resolved.
Conditions of Work
- As part of their induction, all employees must receive a copy of this document and the Equal Opportunities Statement
b) Facilities in the building
- Certain groups or individuals may have a need for specific facilities. Our Sansar Limited must take all reasonable steps, to ensure that such facilities are made available.
c) Material on Display
- Material which is racist, sexist or can be demonstrated to be offensive, must not be displayed.
- Recognition and consideration must be given to people who have individual needs e.g. child care, religious observations, regular medical treatment, etc. A flexible approach to working hours and to the taking of leave should be exercised subject to the requirements of the post.
- Our Sansar Limited recognises that literature, publicity and promotional material should be provided in appropriate forms, for example other languages, large type, Braille, etc. Every endeavour will be made to meet individual need in this respect.
- People should be made aware of their right to complain if they feel they have been unjustly treated.
- Complaints Procedure will be developed and published.
- Our Sansar Limited will withhold it’s services from any individual, organisation or group which can be demonstrated to be willfully sexist, racist or in any other way discriminatory.
- Our Sansar Limited will actively promote services which will increase the opportunity and participation of people whose involvement in society has been limited by economical, political, social or environmental factors or who are disadvantaged by injustice, inequality of opportunity, discrimination or disability.
- Subject to paragraph (ii) below, all organisations applying for affiliation to Our Sansar Limited will receive equality of consideration.
- Affiliation will not be available to any organisation which can be demonstrated to be wilfully sexist, racist, or in any other way discriminatory.
- Our Sansar Limited expects all organisations which are affiliated to it, or wish to become affiliated, to be or become equal opportunity organisations. Our Sansar Limited will always be prepared to support those wishing to achieve this aim.
- Our Sansar Limited will actively encourage affiliation by groups whose involvement in society has been limited by economic, political, social, or environmental factors or who are disadvantaged by injustice, inequality of opportunity, discrimination or disability.
4. Contract Compliance
- In choosing and maintaining suppliers and contractors, Our Sansar Limited will be mindful of any known policy of discrimination or discriminatory practises on the part of the supplier or contractor and, where possible, will choose, maintain and enter into arrangements with suppliers and contractors who pursue anti-discriminatory practises.
- Our Sansar Limited recognises the continuing need for and will provide Equal Opportunities training to staff (paid or unpaid) and members of the Executive Committee/Sub Committees.
- Our Sansar Limited recognises that numerous individuals and groups do not have equality of access to training opportunities. Positive action will be taken to ensure that progress is made towards making training opportunities equally available to people whose involvement in society has been limited by economical, political, social or environmental factors or who are disadvantaged by injustice, inequality of opportunity, discrimination or disability.
- With regard to the provision of training by Our Sansar Limited priority will be given to issues which are concerned with increasing the involvement in society of those people referred to in paragraph ii) above.
6. Implementation, Monitoring and Review
- A Sub-Committee will be established to implement, monitor and review the Code of Practice and will meet not less than six monthly to do this. The membership of the Sub-Committee will be comprised of people who have demonstrated an awareness of and commitment to equal opportunity policy awareness of and commitment to equal opportunity policy issues and who will have either undergone or are prepared to undergo suitable training in Equal Opportunity policy matters.
- The Sub-Committee will be responsible for developing a strategy for the implementation of the Code of Practice and will set clear objectives and dates by which objectives are to be achieved.
- The Sub-Committee must be supplied with all relevant and appropriate information to enable it to carry out it’s function.
- The Sub-Committee will develop appropriate systems through which detailed monitoring can be carried out.
- The Sub-Committee will publicise it’s work findings to each meeting of the Executive Committee of Our Sansar Limited and will include a detailed description of it’s work in the Annual Report of Our Sansar Limited.
- Membership of the Sub-Committee shall be determined annually at the Annual General Meeting of Our Sansar Limited.